Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Lie My Teacher Told Me:


Aahhh, isn't this perfect?
Look at how those nice English colonists are
taking good care of those hungry, heathen, brown people.
Kara has the real story over at her place.
Buy the book here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet the teacher thought it was true when s/he told it! Delusional history to placate the masses!!

Anonymous said...

The real story is enough to make one sick.....we aren't like that. Are we? No, we aren't.

Robert Rouse said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Melissa. Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier. I like what you do here and if you don't mind, I'll be adding you to my blogroll. Nice stuff!

Chuck said...

Pam- About the teacher thinking it was true- I'm sure that's the case. I didn't know much of that, just generalizations and only really knew about the proclamation of Thanksgiving after the Revolutionary War, making it a national holiday. I read that whole article and it was sickening.

Undeniable Liberal- We're not like that. You're right. Although some of our "leaders" are and I truly believe they're doing those types of things now- with a more modern "modus operandi".

I celebrate Thanksgiving for family, friends, health...you know, the good & important things. our true fortunes.

Thanks for posting that up Melissa.

Anonymous said...

"Are "we" like that?" Perhaps it would be a good time to stop the self flagellation for events centuries ago? It's not like WE haven't pulled off enough crap to beat ourselves with, in our generation!:)

SheaNC said...

Youch, reality sucks. But now I have a blog post idea ready for next Columbus Day!

C-dell said...

I Love Thanksgiving, but I long ago learned the truth about it. In reality it wasn't as friendly and harmonious as we are led to believe. You should check my blog out, and leave me a comment.

QUASAR9 said...

English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, ...

Didn't matter where they came from white european settlers or colonists did some atrocities

But alas people find all sorts of devious ways to disposses people of their land.

And if you don't take it lying down like a good little heathen, and put up any sort of resistance

Well then you give them justified cause to exterminate you.

Hard to believe the white man literally decimated the natives in North America
Remind you of anywhere today?

Hopeyou had a great thanks giving!
And here's to a brand new day!

Mary said...

Important post. We sure weren't served up the truth when I was in school.

I am with Chuck on this. Thanksgiving is about family, friends and appreciating all the simple beauty of our lives. I hope you enjoyed your family and Thanksgiving Melissa.

Anonymous said...

Puts a whole new twist on the wonderful Pilgrim thingie, now doesn't it?

C-dell said...

Thanks for the comment. I hope that you continue to stop by and leave comments.

Anonymous said...

That's a sad but true post, Mel. Attributing blame to any particular groups of humans is incorrect. All humans are basically the same.

Before the 'whiteman with the forked tongue' hit America, the natives were engaged in continual fighting and killing. Has always been and always will be! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I like the dialogue from one of my favorite shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

WILLOW: But Buffy, I thought you agreed with me--that Thanksgiving was all a sham!

BUFFY: It is a sham. But it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.