Friday, July 14, 2006

Seriously.

This morning, over at Quaker Agitator, I read about how the New Jersey shore is awash in confederate flags.

Today, Media Matters is also reporting that Ann Coulter has made a fifth appearance on MSNBC.

And not only are members of our armed services alleged to have raped civilians, but the Miles Foundation has documented 518 cases of sexual assault on U.S. women who have served or are serving in Middle Eastern countries, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain and Qatar.

Then, while visiting Matt Hill's site, I found this story. Apparently, on his blog as Chair of the Guilford County Republican Party, Marcus Kindley compared homosexuality to pedophilia.

I admit, I didn't want to believe it at first. Fred Phelps? Of course. A county chair of the Republican Party? Nah. Sure he would think it... but would anyone dare to actually give voice to such out-dated, out-moded homophobic rhetoric?

The answer is yes. See for yourself here, where he also says that the right of a woman to make a personal decision as to whether or not to have an abortion (without there being a societal value judgement on her decision) is the same as the right to make a personal decision to commit "murder, rape, sposal abuse, pedophilia, [and] incest." Spelling errors in original. Disclaimers added two days after initial post.

If you want to really be sick, click here to read the North Carolina Republican Party Platform on homosexuality and other issues. Don't say I didn't warn you.

2 comments:

MHC said...

Thanks Melissa. It doesn't seem as though Marcus Kindley will be apologizing, but I have tried to get in touch with him to set up an actual meeting, where we can talk face to face (or at least over the phone), instead of through the media, email and the internet. You can catch official press releases and statements at www.ncadvocacycoalition.org

A Bear in the Woods said...

I tried to read those links, I really did try. But, I felt my stomach heaving, and decided it just wasn't worth it to lose breakfast. I grew up around that kind of "fundamentalist" (no fun, and all mental) idiocy, and I can't standit.