Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The War Prayer

Samuel Clemens, a.k.a. "Mark Twain," wrote "The War Prayer" after the Spanish-American War of 1899-1902, which Twain supported when it was promoted as a war for democracy, concluded in the Philippine-American War, in which US troops brutally suppressed a popular insurgency that had helped defeat the Spanish power in the Pacific archipelago. "The War Prayer" was rejected by his publisher, and was found after his death among his unpublished manuscripts. It was first published in 1923 in the anthology, Europe and Elsewhere. I discovered it here.




3 comments:

C-dell said...

so many times history is a reflection of current time

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"The more things change, the more they remain the same." I hate talking in cliches, but the reason they're cliches, is they're true 99% of the time.

I want to thank you from the heart for your recent support. I deeply appreciate it, and I'm sure my friend will even more. Thank You!!!!

Jay Allbritton said...

Hard to believe that anyone would tell Twain they wouldn't publish his words. sad, but that's the American way, the rot goes all the way back.