I am becoming
the woman I've wanted,
grey at the temples,
soft body, delighted,
cracked up by life
with a laugh that's known bitter
but, past it, got better,
knows she's a survivor-
that whatever comes,
she can outlast it.
I am becoming a deep
weathered basket.
I am becoming the woman
I've longed for,
the motherly lover
with arms strong and tender,
the growing up daughter
who blushes surprises.
I am becoming full moons
and sunrises.
I find her becoming,
this woman I've wanted,
who knows she'll encompass,
who knows she's sufficient,
knows where she's going
and travels with passion.
Who remembers she's precious,
but knows she's not scarce -
who knows she is plenty,
plenty to share.
-Jayne Realford Brown
Monday, June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










20 comments:
Happy birthday !!!! :-)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mel!!!
Have many more! Have a good time! BE SAFE!!!
Happy Birthday! Mine is Wednesday....shhhh.
interesting to say the least.
You've unlocked the secret to reversing your age...every year you are more beautiful than the year before
i've already given you my birthday wishes, but please tell me you did something fantabulous for YOU!!?
great poem, p/s. :)
Happy Birthday. You are plenty!
Happy birthday gorgeous one.
Hey, check this out. I think you will like this place. Oh, and Alice is a dude.
Happy birthday. Imagine holding a card with a microchip in it playing a tinny-sounding rendition of a song that you thought was banned in the seventies. Party on!
Happy Birthday Melissa!!!!!
I love this poem--my friend Jayne wrote it!!!
p.s. Consider yourself tagged!
(no worries if you decline...)
Happy b'day!
I digged the poem.
Happy Birthday!
May the best of your previous years be the worst of your years to come. Happy Birthday, Melissa!
Melissa!
Happy B-Day, woman.
You wear it well.
I'm sorry I missed it--but I was flying to Norway when you were celebrating, so I was celebrating too. In a way. Happy happy new year, Melissa! Love and best of wishes.
A Belated Happy Bithday! So glad you have not forgotten me. I have only a few minutes left on my time at the library computer and I gona try to visit a few others. My side bar links don't show up on the library computer probably due to restrictions so I goota hunt comments/links.
Peace.
What a beautiful poem! Happy Belated Birthday lady :-)
I miss you! I am getting back on the blog train. It has been a rough run as I focused on other matters...but now I am eager to reconnect with my blog buddies!
Announcing the first annual Blog World Report Awards. Please drop by today and make your nominations in six categories. Thanks!
It's funny - I'm reminded of you every summer. I remember all those family reunions growing up that fell near your birthday... I was so jealous! Barbie cakes all around.
Post a Comment